Healthy function of the digestive system can be influenced by lifestyle, environmental, and heritable factors.
Did you know.....
-Poor digestion and a lack of nutrient absorption make it difficult for other systems in the body to function properly
-Many conditions like skin, hormone, inflammation, seasonal discomforts, poor immune systems, etc. are unknowingly connected to poor digestion.
-Digestive health has a lot to do with the inflammatory foods we eat, lack of exercise and unmanaged stress levels
The digestive tract is one of the body systems that research has shown to be most positively influenced by essential oils.
Digestzen Essential Oil Blend "Digestive Blend"
Enter my #1 favorite essential oil (and the oil that got me into doTERRA...), DigestZen! Basically all the different things you've probably heard are good for your digestive health, doTERRA combined them into one amazing super power blend and its AHHHMAZING.
Lets take a look at what's inside the Digestive blend:
- Anise-Extracts of the Pimpinella anisum (anise) plant were often combined with fennel in cake by ancient Romans, who would consume the cake after large meals to ease digestive discomfort. Composed primarily of anethole, clinical and experimental research have shown that anise essential oil may support the health of the digestive tract and promote relaxation when taken internally
- Peppermint-Peppermint oil does everything from support feelings of clear breathing to clean surfaces, but its most scientifically researched benefit may be related to its ability to support digestive health. Human clinical research has shown that internal consumption of peppermint essential oil supports healthy digestive system function as well as reduce occasional digestive issues such as gas and bloating
- Ginger-Various extracts of ginger have been used in its native China, throughout Asia, Africa, and the Caribbean for centuries for a variety of digestive concerns, but research suggests that it may be the essential oil that is the most efficacious. With its high concentration of sesquiterpenes, specifically α-zingiberene and beta-sesquiphellandrene, ginger essential oil has been shown to support healthy digestion and reduce feelings of occasional nausea
- Carraway-Steam distilled from the seeds of the carum plant, which is in the same botanical family as anise and fennel, caraway essential oil is another substance with a long history of use for digestion. Likely due to its rich concentration of carvone, caraway essential oil has been shown in clinical research to help maintain gastrointestinal health when taken internally, especially when combined with peppermint
- Coriander-Coriander seed is one of the world’s oldest know spices, having been used for culinary and health purposes by the Babylonians. The essential oil steam distilled from the coriander seed is high in linalool, a terpene most often associated with floral oils, which lends to its gastrointestinal health supporting properties. When taken internally, coriander has been shown to support a healthy gastrointestinal tract
- Tarragon- Tarragon is an herb that is used extensively in traditional Ayurvedic and Chinese health practices specifically to ease gastrointestinal discomfort. Depending on the source, the composition of tarragon essential oil can vary, but it is always rich in phenylpropenes and monoterpenes, particularly limonene and alpha-pinene. Clinical research suggests limonene and alpha-pinene may be supportive of gastrointestinal function when taken internally
- Fennel-Fennel may be the essential oil with the most extensive historical use for digestive health.* What’s interesting about fennel is that the aroma also may be supportive of digestion. Experimental research has shown that inhalation of fennel essential oil may impart a calming and invigorating effect
Essential Oil Case Study:
Would you like to be a participant in our next essential oil case studies? You can choose the "Digestive" topic and receive products to try (including the amazing Digestzen!) for one whole week to see if they help you. I want to make sure I say, THIS IS NOT A MEDICAL STUDY! I am NOT a doctor. I am a Certified Essential Oil Specialist that help people find help with their health issues naturally. Click button to be a participant.
Whole Food Enzymes (Terrazyme)
Enzymes play a critical role in growth, healing, reproduction, breathing, thinking, immune function, hormone regulation, detoxification, and thousands of other biochemical functions. Enzymes also assist in the digestive process and in converting food into energy in cells—making exogenous enzymes (which must be consumed as the body is unable to produce them) one of the most important components of our diets. Fresh, raw foods naturally contain sufficient enzymes for proper digestion in the body. However, when food is cooked and processed, these naturally occurring food enzymes can be destroyed, this is where Terrazyme comes in.
A balanced diet consisting of whole, unprocessed foods should be adequate to meet our food enzyme needs, but that is not always practical. Using a whole-food supplement of food enzymes is a convenient way to guarantee that we have the enzymes necessary for proper digestion and utilization of the nutrients we consume.
TerraZyme is a proprietary blend of 10 active whole-food enzymes that are often deficient in cooked, processed, and preservative-laden foods. TerraZyme includes a variety of whole-food enzymes that help with digestion of proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates, sugars, fiber, and other food nutrients. It also supports optimal health by promoting more efficient digestion of food nutrients and by reducing the demand for internal production of digestive nutrients, thus freeing resources for optimal levels of metabolic enzyme production and activity.
TerraZyme is a proprietary blend of 10 active whole-food enzymes that are often deficient in cooked, processed, and preservative-laden foods. TerraZyme includes a variety of whole-food enzymes that help with digestion of proteins, fats, complex carbohydrates, sugars, fiber, and other food nutrients.* It also supports optimal health by promoting more efficient digestion of food nutrients and by reducing the demand for internal production of digestive nutrients, thus freeing resources for optimal levels of metabolic enzyme production and activity.
What Makes DigestZen TerraZyme Unique?
DigestZen TerraZyme is a proprietary combination of enzymes most likely deficient in the modern diet. The 10 whole food enzymes work primarily through promoting more efficient digestion of food nutrients and by reducing the demand for internal production of digestive nutrients, thus freeing resources for optimal levels of metabolic enzyme production and activity. Not only does this ensure that your body is able to use the nutrition it consumes, but it also can help support specific food intolerances as mentioned above, especially for those with intolerances of fats, proteins, or carbohydrates.
One of the many benefits of better digestion is increased cellular energy. Whole food enzymes are able to break down specific macro and micronutrients so that they can enter systemic circulation and be used for energy needs. TerraZyme also assists the endogenous (internal) production of digestive enzymes, which results in fewer resources being needed to produce digestive enzymes and more left for other metabolic purposes.
TerraZyme is also gluten- and GMO-free, and does not contain any animal-derived ingredients.
Click this 2 minute clip below to see Terrazyme in action!
Probiotics and Your Gut...What You May Not Know
The gastrointestinal (GI) tract is one the largest, most complex, and important organ systems in the body. Within nearly 25 feet, all the food that you consume is absorbed and digested so that you can use its vital nutrients, and the waste is excreted. Also, the GI tract plays an important role in the proper functioning of your immune system. A healthy GI tract is vital for optimum health.
We need good AND BAD bacteria. We are constantly wiping out our bacteria from anti-biotics found in our food, hand soaps, etc. When we wipe out all the bacteria, that wreaks havoc on our immune systems. Researchers have recently become increasingly interested in the intestine's connection to our immune system. The gut is actually packed with some 60 to 70 percent of the body's immune cells, meaning it functions as the immune system's "control tower" while still serving as a digestive organ. In addition to various types of immune cells, the gut also contains something else indispensable to our health: The human intestinal tract is home to 500 different types of gut bacteria, totalling some 100 trillion organisms in total. Together, they constitute our intestinal flora, a virtual ecosystem that suppresses the infiltration of pathogens (germs) into the body.
Taking a probiotic is absolutely essential in helping the health of our gut and restoring and balance our microflora (bacteria). When I first started taking doTERRA's probiotic (PB Assist+), I was literally floored by the results. I had taken so many different probiotics and was wondering why this one was so much more effective than anything else I had taken. Once I started researching, I learned that most probiotics cant even make it down into the gut and get the bacteria where it needs to go. This is due to our stomach acid breaking it down first. doTERRA actually double encapsulates theirs so that the stomach acid eats off the first layer and then the actual probiotic makes it down into your gut. How cool is that!
Here is a breakdown of what else makes PB Assist+ unique:
- The proprietary formula of pre-biotic fiber and probiotic microorganisms contained with PB Assist+ includes L. acidophilus, B. bifidus, B. longum, L. plantarum, and L. caseii to promote a positive balance and variety of beneficial gut bacteria.
- While the benefits of probiotics are well documented, many supplements cannot pass through stomach acid unharmed. The time-release, double-layer vegetable capsule used in PB Assist+ protects the probiotic cultures as they pass through the stomach so they can provide the digestive and immune support you need.
- Although it is best to keep PB Assist+ out of the heat, it is not necessary to refrigerate. PB Assist+ is tested for shelf life and stability and will retain its activity level when stored under normal conditions. Dry probiotic cultures such as the ones used in our PB Assist+ capsules are not activated until they are released in the gut and exposed to moisture.
- The green color in the PB Assist+® inner capsule comes from chlorophyll, the all-natural green pigment found in all plants.
Why doesn’t our probiotic need to be refrigerated?
Probiotics that need to be refrigerated are in the decaying process. They are not stable. The cold temp is delaying their decay. The problem with this is that when you ingest the body temp kills the futures off quickly.
You want a probiotic that does not need refrigeration because that is a sign of a stable culture that is not in a decaying stage. PB Assist will not die from the body temperature nor will it be destroyed in the stomach acid because the capsule is made to withstand the acid and open in the small intestine.
The specific strains have been chosen for their stability at room temperature
PB Assist+ is tested for shelf life and stability and will retain its activity level when stored under normal conditions. Dry probiotic cultures such as the ones used in our PB Assist+ capsules are not activated until they are released in the gut and exposed to moisture.
Where Do I Go From Here?
Option 1: Try out my super amazing, discounted starter package focused on digestive health. You will get some freebies from me in my welcome package I send you, a personalized wellness consult with me so I can teach how to use everything, a year of 25% off anything else you'd like to buy and access to free resources like weekly continued education classes and community FB page.
Option 2: Would you like to continue learning more and try out some of the products? I occasionally run essential oil case studies and you can be a free participant. If you qualify, we send you a free study kit in the email with product to use for one week. Click below to read more information and to see when our next case study runs.